Answered By: Clare Withers
Last Updated: Apr 20, 2015     Views: 29

Pitt has many of the publications-- including maps and reports-- of the Geological Survey of Pennsylvania. Some are in Hillman, some in Storage, some in the Engineering Library, and some at the Bradford and Johnstown campuses.

There is some irregularity in the records regarding the publishing agency--sometimes they seem to be produced by the Geological Survey of Pennsylvania, sometimes by Pennsylvania Geological Survey, sometimes by Pennsylvania Bureau of Topographic and Geologic survey.

Start your search in PITTCat Classic and select "Keyword Search".  Depending on what you're looking for, you may want to limit your search by date. To do this, enter the beginning year, click the radio button for range, and enter the end year. Be sure to click the Set Search Limits button.

In the first search box, enter the terms geologic? survey pennsylvania. Leave "all of these" in the drop down menu. 

In the next line enter map? report? and  set the dropdown to "any of these" and run the search.

Related Topics

Need help? Chat with us!

More ways to contact us

  • Ask Us is intended for current Pitt students, faculty, and staff or questions from others regarding our unique resources and services
  • We cannot respond to medical, legal, or tax-related questions
  • Within 2 business days you should receive a response with an answer or direction to additional resources
  • Use of Ask Us is your agreement to our Privacy Policy Statement
  • Anonymized transcripts may be used to improve our service or for training