Answered By: Lauren Collister
Last Updated: Jun 10, 2016     Views: 41

From the ETD Copyright FAQ, because dissertations are disseminated through ProQuest, permission must be obtained for copyrighted material. Here is the direct quote:

Permission must be obtained when using any of the following: maps, drawings, tables, figures, photographs, sound files, and video clips, among others.

On the ETD Copyright Page, you can find some sample letters to make your requests of the publishers. Most publishers will quickly (and freely) grant permission to use content in a thesis or dissertation. When you make your permissions requests, make sure you state clearly that your work will be disseminated through ProQuest, which is a commercial entity. 

If you need any help identifying how to ask for permissions or need assistance interpreting a response, please let us know at You can also make an appointment at this link with our Scholarly Communications Librarian, Lauren Collister, who can work directly with you on these questions. 

If you are interested in learning more about Fair Use, even if it does not apply for this particular case, you can find information and resources on our Copyright Guide's Fair Use section


Related Topics

Need help? Chat with us!

More ways to contact us

  • Ask Us is intended for current Pitt students, faculty, and staff or questions from others regarding our unique resources and services
  • We cannot respond to medical, legal, or tax-related questions
  • Within 2 business days you should receive a response with an answer or direction to additional resources
  • Use of Ask Us is your agreement to our Privacy Policy Statement
  • Anonymized transcripts may be used to improve our service or for training