Answered By: Business ULS Last Updated: Aug 12, 2016 Views: 8
Generating lists of companies can be helpful for many reasons whether it is doing research for a project or targeting perspective employers. The University Library System has a couple of databases that can generate these lists.
Hoover's Online is the easier resource for generating lists of companies. Once in the database, follow these steps:
- Click the Build a List option at the top of the page.
- Select different criteria to add to the list (ex. Company Location, Company Size, Industry, etc.). You can choose multiple criteria. The list automatically updates as you select criteria.
- When all the criteria are added, click the yellow View Results button at the bottom of the page.
Note: Hoover's does not allow for downloading/exporting of their information.
Mergent Online is another resource to consider. Once in Mergent, follow these steps:
- Click the blue Advanced Search tab at the top of the page.
- Add different criteria to generate a list (ex. company location, industry codes, etc.) Click Submit in order to run the search after all criteria have been added.
- In order to see results, select View. You can also download/export to excel.
If you are interested in companies from Pittsburgh and the surrounding area, also consider looking at the Pittsburgh Business Times' Book of Lists. This print publication contains information on the top local companies in different industries. The most recent version is located on the ground floor Information Center Service Desk of Hillman Library. Older versions can be found in the Reference section of the library (1st floor).
Need help? Chat with us!
More ways to contact us
- Ask Us is intended for current Pitt students, faculty, and staff or questions from others regarding our unique resources and services
- We cannot respond to medical, legal, or tax-related questions
- Within 2 business days you should receive a response with an answer or direction to additional resources
- Anonymized transcripts may be used to improve our service or for training